On 9/3/18 5:42 PM, D. Michael McIntyre wrote:
On 09/01/2018 06:44 PM, Dennis Kaptain wrote:

I have downloaded a rdg file and placed it in ./.local/share/rosegarden/library/M-Audio-Venom.rgd

Where did the file come from?  I see we ship Rosegarden with a file by this name, but I tried looking through it to see who created it, and discovered that it's totally corrupt gibberish. Going all the way back to the file's beginning, it has been garbage since day one.  The only info I have about it that offers a clue who to contact is "Gary G." Well, that's a dead end.

It sounds like there's a better version of M-Audio-Venom.rgd out there, and I should update our repository.

In any case, since finding the author of the .rgd file turned out to be a dead end, all I can suggest is that somebody in 2012 reported joy connecting to a Venom using a standard MIDI cable instead of USB.  He used a dedicated USB MIDI interface to make the connection.  It looks like support for the Venom was always patchy, if it ever worked at all, and it looks like the hardware was discontinued and abandoned by the manufacturer years ago, so ALSA never got proper support for it going. That's what it looks like at a casual glance anyway.  I didn't do a deep dive.

That seems to be it! I had my son in law come over and help me out. He has a degree in music and knows what he's talking about. Very much the way I don't.

It does appear that the USB port on the venom is not for MIDI. I connected my computer via USB to a Behringer UMC404HD Audio Interface and the UMC4040HD to the Venom with a MIDI cable. I got it to work.

Was the bad rdg file because it was double zipped? I seem to remember reading something about that somewhere. Apparently it was a known issue to someone somewhere.

For your convenience, I have put the rdg file I'm using here:

http://kaptain.us/tmp/M-Audio-Venom.rgd

I used that rdg file to create a reabank file. My son in law loves Reaper. So that file also is here:

http://kaptain.us/tmp/M-Audio-Venom.reabank

Anyway this issue is SOLVED! Thank you so much for your time and attention! I'm going to go write some music now.

DK