Hi,
thank you for the thorough reply! Really appreciate it.

The first setback I encounter is that I have a studio set up, the default
studio project has tracks with all the device assignments done. When I try
opening older simpler song, I don't see the devices I had configured. With
all things considered, I will not get stuck with this, and I already tried
creating the missing devices. Just didn't bother to remake the banks, got
the right sounds playing anyway.

Connecting to the first device - good info! That seemed to work. The song
then ended up having the names of the devices like before (the old physical
devices), but first of them pointed to the first new MIDI port. Ok.

I'm sure I can take the time to try all the methods again with better
documentation.

Sami Jumppanen
http://netti.nic.fi/some-e