On Mon, 6 Jun 2022 15:45:58 +0200
Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsut...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As a new release approaches, I think one of the latest threads about
> synths, jack (midi) etc. re-prompts the longstanding questions:
>
> 1. do we want LV2 in Rosegarden?
> 2. do we want Jack-MIDI?
>
> IMHO (and with an updated perspective compared to my opinions in the past):
>
> 1. I think on the one hand this would be great because LV2 is the
> current de-facto standard on Linux and would open up many possibilities
> if integrated natively.
> The key question, though, is: would it make sense to support LV2 if then
> user's aren't able to 'generate' (i.e. save as, say, a WAV file), the
> final result of their musical masterpiece made in Rosegarden?
> I'm thinking of software like Ardour, Qtractor and LMMS (the latter
> notably also not supporting LV2 yet), which are potentially
> self-contained in that you add/use plugins, and when done export to a
> final audio file.
> If Rosegarden were to support LV2 it should also support audio export of
> the final result, otherwise it would mostly generate user frustration.
> Self-contained in audio is a double-edged sword which easy becomes
> obsolete when relying on plugins which will eventually be un-maintained
> or become incompatible (this applies also outside the Linux ecosystem -
> think RTAS or DirectX).
>
> 2. jack-midi feels like a higher priority. Why? Because it would allow
> to e.g. connect to jack-midi applications like Carla (multi-format
> plugin host) or Ardour (to name a couple) and better support modularity
> within the current Linux ecosystem where it seems that ALSA Midi is
> considered to be deprecated. True there is a2j but that's really a bit
> of a work-around.
>
> My two (user-oriented) cents and would be interesting to hear other
> opinions.
>

> Lorenzo.

As a somewhat south of average user (at 78 I have given up on learning too many
new tricks) I hear that Pipewire is
poised to deplace pulse AND jack, for whatever that might mean to devs/users
(means nothing to me unless it, unlike a fly on the monitor, makes a sound when
I stab it with mouse arrow and click on it).