On 09/08/2010 10:16 AM, Peter Barton wrote:

I have seen the RT-Extension-MandatorySubject plugin and this is
great for
opening tickets via the web interface.  However, my company opens at
least
90% of its tickets via email.  Is there anything out that can enforce
mandatory subjects on tickets opened via email?

How would you do that? Sending a bounce back? -- which is not
convenient?
What you can do is write a scrip on create to look for empty subject
and then insert one based on whatever criteria you want, eg requestor /
sender email>address or the first line of the content etc ..

Regards;
Roy

I would actually like to bounce the email back notifying the sender that
the subject is required.

Personally I don't see a problem with sending a bounce to a person who sent an email without a subject either. I think the original email without a subject is inconvenient, so they deserve a bounce.

We send all of our RT email through procmail for some additional filtering like this and this is the section of our procmail that checks for missing subjects. It sends a copy of their original email back to them, with a subject saying that their ticket was rejected because the subject was missing. It also adds a message to the email body, but unfortunately it is appended so they may not see it. I haven't bothered to try to figure out a way to prepend it. I Bcc the bounces to my email address also, so I know when people do this and I can check to see if they resent the email with a subject.

~Jason
#
# Check for missing or empty subjects:
#
ERRORS_TO="my.em...@domain.com"
SUBJECT=`formail -xSubject: | expand | sed -e 's/^[ ]*//g' -e 's/[ ]*$//g'`
:0 c:
* SUBJECT ?? ^^^^
| formail -I "Status: R" >>${MAILDIR}/noSubject
:0 A
|( formail -brkt -I"From: RT Ticket System <ticket-addr...@domain.com>" \
   -I"Bcc: $ERRORS_TO" \
   -I"Subject: RT email ticket rejected - NO SUBJECT."; \
   echo "-------- RT Message --------"; \
   echo "Your email ticket request will NOT be processed without a subject."; \
   echo "Please include a subject in your email message above and resend it." \
) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t
:0 c:
* SUBJECT ?? \(no subject\)
| formail -I "Status: R" >>${MAILDIR}/noSubject
:0 A
|( formail -brkt -I"From: RT Ticket System <ticket-addr...@domain.com>" \
   -I"Bcc: $ERRORS_TO" \
   -I"Subject: RT email ticket rejected - NO SUBJECT."; \
   echo "-------- RT Message --------"; \
   echo "Your email ticket request will NOT be processed without a subject."; \
   echo "Please include a subject in your email message above and resend it." \
) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

RT Training in Washington DC, USA on Oct 25 & 26 2010
Last one this year -- Learn how to get the most out of RT!