On Aug 26, 2009, at 5:57 PM, John Barnette wrote:

Nick,

On Aug 26, 2009, at 1:42 PM, Nick Quaranto wrote:
1) Redirect gems.rubyforge.org to gemcutter.org for gem serving. (all gems
are currently mirrored from RubyForge and are ready for consumption)

RubyForge currently has a pretty good mirror system for supporting Gem downloads. I expect Tom could get your some figures on how much bandwidth they use.

I just ran webalizer on the Apache log from the Bytemark mirror and it did 14M gems of gem traffic on Monday. Figure Bytemark serves about a quarter of the traffic, that's about 60M/day. File downloads eat a little more bandwidth - that Bytemark mirror did 49M yesterday of files... it's serving about 60% of the traffic, so files account for 80M/day, maybe. And of course there are spikes here and there.

Yours,

Tom