On 26 Aug 2009, at 23:21, Nick Quaranto wrote:

I'll take a look into CloudFront, I just haven't yet since the need
hasn't come up. My main concern is keeping the gap between publishing
a gem and being able to install it low.

I really can't stress enough that it would be possible to integrate these requirements with rubyforge. I'm not saying "no", I'm just pointing out, that it could have been done just with the gem plugin targeting rubyforge.

As for the costs, I'd like to approach a non-profit organization such
as RubyCentral to help deal with them. I originally sent an email out
to them first about supporting the project a few weeks ago, but I
haven't heard anything back. I'm interested to hear their opinions on
the site as well.

I would love to get an estimate on bandwidth since the costs are easy
to calculate for S3. So far with over 2,000 gem downloads and
uploading all of the gems from RubyForge over the past 2 months it's
been less than $5.