Ed, I think a lot of this gear problem is due to the type of plastic in
the first place. I'm sure our Korean fabricators are ordering small
quantities of these items, which means there's not a lot of long term R
& D that goes into these items, especially since they seem to do it
different all the time. We might want to go back to the material Rex
used in his engines--pretty stable stuff!
If you think back at our 15 year old engines compared to the cars,
lawnmowers,VHS & DVD players, computers etc that you've thrown out
they've done pretty well.
To further my quest to get my FA's back on the road, I corraled the
drive shafts from the E unit that needed to be cut down for the much
shorter wheelbase of the FA's. Luckily I didn't cut into them. The
receiving shaft (female part) isn't cored deep enough--- so if you cut
it off to the proper length you cut off all the material necessary to
hold the male shaft! So look for plan B (or is it C or D by now). I
scrounged around for some Hobbytown parts I've had for a long time as I
wait for my new order to arrive. I had most of the parts but I've
apparently lost my little red balls (no jokes guys!) that fit the square
shaft. So I'll be dead in the water until I get replacement parts. So
it's time to give the roundhouse crew a couple days off!
Stay warm guys--we have a frigid wind today--probably about 60 in the sun!
Bob Werre
>
> I see three gears, a small nylon one on top followed by
> two larger brass ones. Sure enough the smallish plastic guy is split.
>
> Bob Werre
>
> Gents..
>
> Brother Roberto' has just stumbled onto one of my pet peeves about this
> hobby - split plastic parts press fitted onto metal shafts.
> Coincidentally,
> I was speaking with an avid HO guy a few days ago and he was complaining
> about the same thing on a recent HO diesel purchase. So this problem dates
> from the late '70s to the early '10s at least. His assessment of what is
> happening follows:
>
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
------------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/S-Scale/
<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional
<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/S-Scale/join
(Yahoo! ID required)
<*> To change settings via email:
[email protected]
[email protected]
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[email protected]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/