I believe the GT engines were all American-built and therefore likely heavier 
than their Canadian cousins.  My interest in CN lines comes late in my hobby 
life so I'm not too well versed yet.  Most of my research materials are for CP 
motive power.  I'm sure someone like Andy Malette would be better versed than 
I. 
 One thing's sure...roads like the NYC, UP and SF built some monster classics 
in 
the 4-8-4 arrangement.

Jim 






________________________________
From: Bob Werre <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Cc: Jim and Cheryl Martin <[email protected]>
Sent: Sat, January 1, 2011 1:52:21 PM
Subject: Re: {S-Scale List} Vintage steam engine

  
So Jim, I assume that the Grand Trunks engines were typical American 
designs?  I have an old video of some of their engines in the last 
years.  They all looked well maintained.

Bob Werre
>
> Thanks for sharing Bob. Great film!
>
> The subjects in the film,both CP Northerns have been preserved...3100 
> is in
> Ottawa; 3101 is in Regina, Saskatchewan. Canadian Pacific and Canadian
> National's motive power preferences are interesting in their 
> differences. CP
> had only the two Northerns, while the CN had 203. CP had 65 Hudsons 
> however,
> while the CN owned only 5. The differences probably spring from the 
> amount of
> lightly-laid rail lines CN inherited when it was formed. They needed 
> 8-coupled
> drives to spread the engine weight along the rails. The 4-8-4's of both
> Canadian roads however were quite a bit smaller than most of the American
> Northern types.
>
> Trains magazine had an extensiive feature on the CP 4-8-4's back in 
> January
> 1976.
>
> Happy New Year
> Jim
>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


 



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/S-Scale/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/S-Scale/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to