On Friday, September 24, 2021 at 1:12:38 PM UTC-5 William Stein wrote:

> I assume you are talking about the official binaries that are distributed
> on Sagemath.org.  Fortunately, the Sage binaries on
> MacOS that are produced by the conda-forge devs are not total crap.

William,

There are two different Sage binaries for macOS referred to on
SageMath.org.  The first, which is the recommended one is:

https://github.com/3-manifolds/Sage_macOS/releases

created by Marc Culler over the past year and is very far from total crap.
While it does not yet support the M1 natively, it does offer a code-signed
and notarized app that is just as easy to install as Mathematica et al.
 (Note that the JupyterLab App is *not* notarized so one gets the "macOS
cannot verify that this app is free from malware" message and have to go
through System Preferences to run the installer.)

The second is the old:

http://mirrors.mit.edu/sage/osx/intel/index.html

Best,

Nathan