On Tue, 13 Sep 2022, 08:57 'Travis Scrimshaw' via sage-devel, <
sage-devel@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 4:14:26 PM UTC+9 Matthias Koeppe wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 12:10:28 AM UTC-7 Travis Scrimshaw
>> wrote:
>>
>>> How is the workflow that our current developers sometimes use
>>>>

>> I think you'll have to explain what workflow is what you are talking
>> about, and what your concern is.
>>

> Let's say I want to solve the really hard problem of 2 + 2 for a paper we
> are writing. So I write a branch that does the computation by repeatedly
> adding 1: doing the computation 2 + 1 + 1. We don't plan to include this
> into Sage as it is a horrible hack nor make it public because it will lead
> to a proof of the Riemann Hypothesis (don't want to be scooped). Now you
> also want to run computations or build some code off of it. How do you get
> the code? We do not want to do a PR. With our current setup, I could push
> the branch to the server, email you the branch name, and you could pull it.
> Using GH, my understanding is we would have to share a repo and/or setup
> push/pull rights, which seems more complicated

no, with GH you can just the same way email someone a branch name on your
fork of the main repo, where is the problem here?

(and what if I want to get stuff back from you too?).

same, you can pull a branch from someone's fork.

PS. With git, one actually don't need any repos on servers, one can email
branches around, this is the workflow of the Linux kernel project. It's not
just patch-quilts, it is a mature system which used and checks hashes of
commits in your branches.
Cf. e.g.
https://git-send-email.io/