I'd actually be interested in knowing what the substitute for "git trac
checkout ..." is. Because with trac, all ticket branches are present in the
"trac" repository, you can pull anything from there. If I have to
merge/pull from developer branch, do I need to add another remote to my
local sage git repository? That sounds very laborious. Particularly for how
to keep it up-to-date.

Note that sage trees are rather voluminous, so (some?) people tend to have
not that many of them on their machine. If you're working on tickets that
are relatively close to the current develop, it's quite doable to just
check them in/out as you switch your work. I don't know how that would work
if one needs multiple remotes.