Hi all,

Thanks Darij for bringing up the issue, and everyone for your
feedback! Here is my (strong for once) opinion on this issue. Sorry I
am taking off right now for vacations, so it's stated in a rush.

- I for myself usually prefer left composition for permutations (like
  most combinatorialist) but do prefer right actions in many other
  related situations. In short, I want both :-)

- GAP (and to a lesser extent Magma) is *the* reference when it comes
  to computational group theory. I find it very natural that Sage
  chose to follow GAP's lead.

- A global option for this is bad. In general, global options should
  not affect the semantic.

- +1 on a parent option:

        sage: PermutationGroup(..., action='left')

  Note that this is consistent with what we do for finite set maps:

        sage: M = FiniteSetMaps([1, 2, 3], action = 'right')

  Maybe PermutationGroupElement will need to take an option too, and a
  decision will need to be taken for mixed products.

- -1 on changing the default value. There is way too much risk to
  break user code out there and in a way to subtle way.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/