Hello !

>    I strongly object to removing the function to_partition as it is useful
> to people (beyond FindStat),

I would be interested to know how. Do you use it yourself ?

> but I'm not opposed to renaming it to something
> like connected_components_partition.

As Vincent said, 'connected_components_partition' sounds like it will
return a partition of the vertex set into connected components, i.e. what
'connected_components' already does. If you do not like the
'connected_components_sizes_partition' I proposed, could you give us an
other possible name for this method that would more explicit than
'to_partition' ?

> Similar for to_graph.

I do not understand what you mean by 'similar'. I tried to explain in my
first post how the behaviour of this function was not clear from its name,
and how renaming it would make it almost a copy of a function that already
exist. Also, if you want the graph corresponding to the hasse diagram, it
is perfectly natural to do Graph(P.hasse_diagram()).

If you believe that this function should be renamed instead of removed,
could you say how ? I am especially interested in understanding why you
believe that it is useful as a function of its own, when
Graph(P.hasse_diagram()) or P.hasse_diagram().to_undirected() seem both
natural and concise.

> Although if you
> want to argue about removing "one-line" functions, we should also remove
> add_edges, add_vertices, delete_edges, delete_vertices, subdivide_edges,
> average_degree, average_distance, etc.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding, I did not ask that they be removed
for the only reason that they can be written in one line. I tried to make
it my main point that their name was unclear.

> Also I cannot emphasize sufficiently
> that not all Sage users who use the graph code are graph theorists.

Indeed, and for fixing all bugs related to multiple edges and edge labels
you must be convinced that I am aware of that. Frédéric Chapoton added some
functions which compute polynomials associated to graph (polynomials I
never heard of), and some of these tickets I reviewed myself.

What I want to avoid, however, is that the name of functions might be
confusing to graph theorists. The same way that I hope that the name of
graph functions is not confusing to non graph theorists.

Nathann