And actually I said some stuff without revisiting what is done
in Gentoo and in sage and I am not sure which one is overkill
anymore. I inherit cruft from someone else (possibly me in the past).
I need to sort it out.

To go back to:
Second, in the patch, you write
   $(LINK) $(LIBTOOL_FLAGS)
whereas it seems to me more logical to put
  $(LIBTOOL_FLAGS) $(LINK)

I think libtool is able to figure it regardless of the order.
This flag is only used for cygwin in sage. It is then set to
“-no-undefined” which is definitely recognised as a special
argument for -mode=link and it will be treated specially.
But the libtool manual doesn’t say it has to be specified before
or after the “linking” command. People are more comfortable with it
being part of the linking command I guess.
I’d say the way it is done in the patch is the most usual way to do it.

François