On 11 October 2016 at 15:34, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 7:24 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Punch cards?  They were a great  advance on paper tape which is what
>>> *I* started on.   To correct a typo in your program you had to  read
>>> the whole tape in, make the correction, and punch out a whole new
>>> tape!  Cards were so much easier as you could just replace one card.
>>

>> sure, I had this at some point (1981?) too; the OS was booted from a big
>> roll of plastic tape, and files and stuff
>> were on paper tape... I don't recall whether it was Basic or Fortran one had
>> to program it with...
>
> You guys were so lucky to have an actual computer!

I only had access to it on Sunday afternoons, in winter.  Most of the
year it was lifted (by crane) onto a ship because it belonged to
Cambridge U's department of geodesy and geophysics, and they used it
to map the ocean floor.  And the rest of the week when it was in
Cambridge the academics had it.

> I spent my first year or two programming in the 70s by using a book
> I found in the garbage combined with a computer-looking
> thing I built out of cardboard, and simulating everything
> on paper or in my head.

The rest of the week / year we worked on paper too!  (But I didn't
bother making a fake computer out of cardboard).