On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 5:10:40 PM UTC, William wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 15, 2016, Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>

>> On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 2:29:30 PM UTC, Erik Bray wrote:

>>> Now that he
>>> with the

>>> SMC.
>>> here,
>>> >>>

>>> https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue%20is%3Aopen%20label%3AI-bug%20sort%3Acreated-asc%20-label%3Ablocked

>>> explained here:
>>> >>>

>>> https://github.com/sagemathinc/smc/blob/master/src/dev/docker/README.md

>>> (What

>>> Please see https://github.com/sagemath/docker/issues/4
>>> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fsagemath%2Fdocker%2Fissues%2F4&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHTpXG0nMQbI6wwvnbQEGBxSjGf9w>
>>>

>>> I don't know what's driving so much traffic there, but I need to find
>>> a way to *clearly* deprecate it without breaking things for whoever it
>>> is that's relying on it.
>>

>> Oh dear. It seems that the barrier to posting "official" docker images
>> is way too low.
>> There is also swenson/sage, dieudonne/sage, gissehel/sagemath,
>> xuyouwen/sagemath,
>> and probably many more sagemath docker images over there, some old, some
>> not...
>>
>> Probably the best way for the time being just post the "latest" image
>> with 7.4
>> to sagemath/sage (previous images would still available via tags, IMHO)
>> so that it is in sync with sagemath/sagemath.
>>

>>>  Anyways, the docker containers really should
>>> be preferred over the VM.  Forcing people on Windows to use a VM is
>>> terrible.  I tried to push on this a few months ago but it either
>>> wasn't ready or nobody listened.
>>>

>> The main problem with using VM is setting it properly. AFAIK on Windows
>> you still have VM
>> in the play, so you basically provide something that is meant to work
>> better, right?
>>

> I don't know exactly the situation with docket + windows, but Docker on OS
> X uses a very lightweight hypervisor and automatically forwards networks
> and makes OS X host paths available.  It's pretty damn amazing, and it's
> also very new - just out of beta!   They do something very similar for
> Windows.

as https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-windows/#download-docker-for-windows
says:
"Docker for Windows requires 64bit Windows 10 Pro, Enterprise and Education
(1511 November update, Build 10586 or later) and Microsoft Hyper-V."
So this looks like we are SOL with Docker as the primary way to provide
Sage on Windows...