On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 2:28 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know anything about the current Windows install ecosystem
>>> among our target audience.  On what basis do you conclude that a very
>>> substantial fraction don't have the ability to run Docker?
>>

>> Well, go to something like dell.com and see for yourself.
>> A standard Windows edition sold with budget laptops is not Professional, it
>> is Home.
>> (and still Windows 8.1 is available, and people choose it for a variety of
>> reasons)
>
> OK, you win.  And it costs $100 to upgrade, evidently.    Forget my
> remarks about Docker for windows.     It's clear Docker has very much
> become mainly a developer tool -- at least on Windows  -- not a
> software delivery system.   Oh well.

This is not exactly true, but you couldn't be blamed for thinking
otherwise.  Docker has been frustratingly unclear in communicating
their strategy regarding Windows, and while I have mostly teased it
out, I have, in turn, had a frustrating time trying to dispel
misconceptions.

What you say is mostly true, yes, but "Docker for Windows" is the name
of a *specific* product--it should be read almost like "Docker for
Windows™".  It's not "Docker™ (for Windows)", i.e. *the* release of
Docker, for Windows.  They have been trying to position it as such in
order to reduce the number of products they're supporting, which is
why the information is unclear.

But there is still also the Docker Toolbox (which predates "Docker for
Windows") which does not depend on Hyper-V.  I think they are trying
to deprecate that but as far as I can tell they haven't officially
done that either.  It could still be taken over as a community project
if Docker Inc. does not support it anymore.  Docker Toolbox is what my
initial attempt at distributing a Sage for Windows running on Docker
was based on.  This still has some problems as a "software delivery
system", however, as I reported in detail here:

https://github.com/OpenDreamKit/OpenDreamKit/wiki/D3.1-Virtual-images-and-containers#sagemath

So Docker Toolbox still has limitations, but will work on a wider
range of systems than "Docker for Windows".  That said, it's tricky to
use simply for "software delivery" for end users, and was never really
intended for that in the first place.  For that matter, the Windows
Subsystem for Linux (aka "Bash for Windows" which is really a terrible
misnomer), is also meant purely as a developer tool.  This is why my
efforts are still focused on getting Sage to actually work on Windows
(which it does now, or did, but keeping up with the moving target of
Sage's dependencies has been a nightmare.  For example, Sage was
working great on Windows until the upgrade to Singular 4 which broke
everything again).

All that said, for now, I would still strongly suggest Docker as the
best way to run Sage on Windows.