Sitting at a cybercafe in Panjim... but when I tried phoning back
home, the ring (finally, and after days) seemed to go through. I'm not
very sure... will be able to confirm tomorrow.

Earlier today, I undertook my daily pilgrimage to the phone exchange.
It was very blacked out inside, covered with soot and the aftermath of
the fire. Clicked some photos, which I'll share once the net is up.

While the staff and officers (and contract workers too) seem to have
worked round the clock, to rebuild the exchange, which needs to be
appreciated, what is of concern is that the exchange is unmanned after
office hours. With fluctuations happening and power supply poor, can
we expect such incidents to recur? Earlier too, there have been
breakdowns and lightening strikes, though of lesser intensity than
this four-to-five day (at least) outage!

While Saligao is charge "urban rates" for its telephone services, we
seem to be getting below-rural services. Time that such issues are
sorted out. How are we expected to function without basic phone (and
internet facilities) for five days at a stretch? We can blame "acts of
god" (as they would say in insurance lingo) but human negligence
should not be overlooked either. FN

Frederick Noronha
+91-9822122436
+91-832-2409490

--
This message comes via the Google Groups "Saligao-Net" group.