If png's can be used then I think we should do it even if using an
image of tiles is a bit ironic!  It would allow changes to be made to
the image in the gimp rather than flash! if nothing else! ;)  If a
success, I don't dare to dream about scumm but another possible port
would be Flashback, I can't remember how much if any scrolling is in
there but something would be possible if pngs could be used as source
gfx...
I don't know enough to comment on the feasibility of it all but I do
have a question, why use the PC bitmaps and not the ST?  The Atari is
already 16 colours and it would be easy enough to fancy them up a bit,
make them a bit less tiley..  I'm saying this without having a good
look at how the PC gfx would work in 16 colours though...

Hey Warren!  I'd guess that whichever direction the project goes
there'll be tons to do.  The more the merrier I say :)