> Romain,
>
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2016 10:11:06 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Compiling manually can indeed be painful. Two questions for you:
> >- Are you sure that all the features that you are trying to enable will
be
> >needed in your script? You might not actually need jack or ao..
>
> Ah yes, compiling is right up there with pushing camels through eyes
> of needles (LOL).
>
> I thought about eliminating jack, since it's a virtual machine on
> which I am attempting to compile Liquidsoap, and it appears jaqck is
> needed for, well, audio hardware, like speaker and headphone jacks,
> which this machine certainly doesn't have. So I commented out the
> lines in PACKAGES that reference ocaml-bjack and ocaml-ao. running
> configure again got me this at the end:
>
> checking whether pkg-config knows about gstreamer-1.0... configure:
> error: gstreamer-1.0.pc not found.. Do you need to set
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH?
>
> So I went back and looked at what ocaml-gstream was for, decided I
> didn't need it, re-ran configure, it couldn't find taglib, so
> installed taglib-devel. Definitely moving forward.
>
> Now I'm down to this:
>
> checking whether pkg-config knows about shine >= 2.0.0... configure:
> error: shine.pc not found.. Do you need to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH?
>
> OK, back to PACKAGES; Says shine is used for fixed-point MP3 encoding.
> Sorry, been dealing with MP3's since they were invented, but never
> heard the term "fixed-point MP3 encoding" before, so I looked it up. I
> couldn't find an explanation for the term, but I did find many
> references to shine. I tried to look it up using yum, no soap (liquid
> or otherwise). No such package.

Shine is a fixed-point mp3 encoder, most useful for embedded hardward like
ARM boards. Unless you are compiling for e.g. a Raspberry Pi, I don't think
that you'll need it, lame is the main mp3 encoder.

> >- Have you looked at using opam? opam can sometimes help handling
external
> >dependencies (though in case of RPM I don't think that it knows much
about
> >them) but also, compiling with opam makes things much easier in general.
>
> I don't know anything about opam--what it is, what it's used or good
> to be used for, etc.

It's the OCaml package manager. It can handle many of the tasks related to
compiling liquidsoap. Also, we support the liquidsoap package there.

Romain