Making a very complex Ajax rich-client web applications perfectly xHTML
valid is not easy. Most of the enterprise world goes way beyond simple
flat file xHTML. Add in (the real reality of) highly database-drive
dynamically generated javascript/ajax heavy pages, and I continue to
conjecture that perfect xHTML is not only not that important but very
difficult to accomplish. Or at least it's not "simple" as you state below.

Heck, who is to say that you can't accomplish XSS or other client-side
attacks and still be xHTML compliant?

I think you would go a lot further in securing your apps if you got
programmers to html entity encode output data, actually do access
control right, encode data on the server side to prevent injection
attacks, etc.

Sure the WAF world would like xHTML - but we do not live in a perfect
world. Most sites are not xHTML compliant in the enterprise.

- Jim

--
Jim Manico, Senior Application Security Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Aspect Security™
Securing your applications at the source
http://www.aspectsecurity.com