Eva M wrote:

> How about the Shetland tune "Spootiskerry"--simple (practically
> pentatonic), very rhythmic with lots of repitition. It's alot of fun
> to play.....

Yes, I agree (that F# at the beginning of the B part really annoys me
because apart from that note it IS pentatonic!), but it's not for the
very first lesson. Quite often the people who come into the Beginners
Whistle class have never played any musical instrument before, and my
aim is to get them playing a decent tune in a very short time, so that
they can look round at each other and say "Hey, we're actually playing
music!" A couple of Irish polkas fit the bill, such as the one I
posted, or "Egan's Polka" (if you miss out the high D in the B part). I
keep thinking there must be a Scottish equivalent, a song air perhaps,
which is perfect for the job - but WHAT IS IT?

After a couple of years teaching beginners the whistle, I'm now
re-thinking the whole course, and part of the plan is to start with a
handful of the easiest notes to play (on the whistle that's D, E, G, A,
and B), introducing the notes that take a little more skill gently and
gradually (high D, C sharp, C natural, notes on the upper octave).

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]