Jack,

>>John Curwen: "The Standard Course of Lessons and Exercises in the
Tonic Sol-Fa Method", pub. J. Curwen & Sons, London & Philadelphia,
1858.  I have the seventh edition, "Re-written, 1901".  It's probably
still in print, and turns up second-hand fairly often (though most
copies were probably worn ragged and then thrown away by non-singer
family members after the owner's death).

Thanks very much for the information. I'll watch for the book. I do see
two copies at alibris.com, but they're in the $50-95 range. My guess is
that I'll eventually locate one of the dog-eared copies you described,
at a price I can afford. :-)

Rudy