[Wikimedia-l]  Re: Why WMF should reconsider the 3-month gender gap

2015-01-09 Thread mcc99
Well Austin Hair, You display a profound lack of understanding of ME, it seems.  I am polite until others are rude, become threatening, even a thinly veiled way, so allow me to tell you first that I do not care a whit what YOU think of me or my opinion on this or any other topic.  And if

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why WMF should reconsider the 3-month gender gap project-related decision

2015-01-09 Thread mcc99
Sebastian, While I bristle at the words misguided, dubious, and especially the implication (and indeed it's only that) that I'm in support of discrimination based on X (sex, etc.), which I hope by now others can see isn't so, at least I've gotten an actual counter-argument from someone that

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why WMF should reconsider the 3-month gender gap

2015-01-09 Thread Gerard Meijssen
Hoi, I do not care one whit who you are or why you think you are provoked. What I care about is arguments that are put cleanly without much fanfare. When you think that you have permission to be rude threatening or abusive under any circumstances, you are wrong. It degrades any point you have and

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Update regarding WMF's reporting practices

2015-01-09 Thread Tilman Bayer
On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo) nemow...@gmail.com wrote: Given https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2015- January/076324.html, some questions. Erik Moeller, 06/11/2014 07:57: Format: Effective immediately, we are shifting to a quarterly reporting format.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: Wikimedia-l Google Group

2015-01-09 Thread Thyge
No, that is not the case. I got a confirmation by email about being unsubscribed, and 6 hours later a new email that I was subscribed again. Fortunately, this gave me the opportunity to report the group twice. Regards, Thyge 2015-01-10 0:05 GMT+01:00 Charles Gregory wmau.li...@chuq.net: I

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread
Hi Sydney, I understand your perspective, but I also understand the where is the carrot? question. I would actively support the campaign if it had been run as one of stating that for X weeks or months that the WMF grants system would give priority to gendergap related proposals and that we would

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: Wikimedia-l Google Group

2015-01-09 Thread Austin Hair
On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 3:33 PM, Marc A. Pelletier m...@uberbox.org wrote: On 15-01-09 09:26 AM, Richard Symonds wrote: I believe mailman allows people to be added without confirmation too! It does, our list admins are just too polite to do that to people. This one is, at least. Wikimedia-l

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: Wikimedia-l Google Group

2015-01-09 Thread Ricordisamoa
Thanks for the notice. I unsubscribed some hours ago and got resubscribed again... Il 07/01/2015 19:26, Austin Hair ha scritto: You may have already received a message indicating that you've been added to the Wikimedia-l Google Group; if not, you likely will soon. In case it's not clear, this

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread Nathan
Please try not to split threads. ___ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines Wikimedia-l@lists.wikimedia.org Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread Keilana
It's not denying attention or funds. It's focusing attention and funds on a badly needed area for 3 months out of the year, and the rest of the projects get the full 9 months. Inviting people to focus their proposals on the gender gap (which, btw, doesn't need scare quotes, as I assure you it's

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread Sydney Poore
Identifying priority areas and directing resources (funds and human) toward them is a non-controversial way to achieve goals. This is exactly what is happening with this targeted campaign. The grants team has made it clear that during this round it intends to work with people and organizations

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread Ilario Valdelli
My 2 cents? The carrot would be a different approach of the committees in the evaluation and a better consideration of the role of the women. When I said to several women that there will be a session of grants dedicated to the women, the answer has been really positive, I would say that they

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

2015-01-09 Thread Federico Leva (Nemo)
Castelo Branco, 09/01/2015 14:17: Wikibooks is for textbooks, annotated texts, instructional guides, and manuals. (...) Wikibooks is not a place to publish primary research. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:What_is_Wikibooks That's only one language. Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread Bjoern Hoehrmann
* Sydney Poore wrote: It appears to me that you are entirely missing the actual nature of the problem and the reason for having a campaign targeted at the gender gap. The *problem* is that there have been a suboptimal number of grant requests for funds to address the gender gap even though it a

[Wikimedia-l] Please report to Google [was Re: Warning: Wikimedia-l Google Group]

2015-01-09 Thread Luis Villa
On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 9:18 PM, Karthik Nadar karthik...@wikimedia.in wrote: I think it will be better if most of us can Report the Group. Yes, please do this. We're also talking with Google about trying to resolve the issue, but my understanding is that reporting that you've been fraudulently

[Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread Tim Davenport
The real problem is that there have been conferences for 3 or 4 years all around the world but (a) no new empirical work on the actual size of the gender gap; and (b) whether that is changing over time; and (c) the underlying reasons for that gap; and (d) whether any past conference, program, or

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread Sydney Poore
It appears to me that you are entirely missing the actual nature of the problem and the reason for having a campaign targeted at the gender gap. The *problem* is that there have been a suboptimal number of grant requests for funds to address the gender gap even though it a listed priority of the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia-l Digest, Vol 130, Issue 25

2015-01-09 Thread mcc99
Geni, I'll answer your response item by item. 1. I don't know if you're writing from Europe, the US, or another place, but here in the US, following are the wages/salary of RNs (LPNs and CNAs definitely don't get paid like RNs or NPs/PAs, but they don't have the same level of

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread Sydney Poore
Siko makes an important point here. If there are too many time sensitive non-theme requests then that would be justification for allocating more resources to the grantmaking team next year. Let's wait and see how the data plays out. Sydney Sydney Poore User:FloNight Wikipedian in Residence at

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WMF is shutting down grantmaking for good projects for 3 months for no reason

2015-01-09 Thread David Gerard
On 9 January 2015 at 20:31, Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoe...@gmx.net wrote: * Siko Bouterse wrote: We've heard from a number of chapters/groups so far that are excited about the campaign and are wondering how to help. We've heard from only a few people so far about specific time-sensitive requests of

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: Wikimedia-l Google Group

2015-01-09 Thread Thyge
My experience is the same :-( 2015-01-09 19:28 GMT+01:00 Ricordisamoa ricordisa...@openmailbox.org: Thanks for the notice. I unsubscribed some hours ago and got resubscribed again... Il 07/01/2015 19:26, Austin Hair ha scritto: You may have already received a message indicating that

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why WMF should reconsider the 3-month gender gap project-related decision

2015-01-09 Thread Siko Bouterse
On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 6:22 AM, Jens Best jens.b...@wikimedia.de wrote: Sorry to interrupted, just a short question. I'm looking for statistics of how many project ideas/requests were submitted in the past. How many volunteers and WMF-employees were and are involved in evaluating all these

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Why WMF should reconsider the 3-month gender gap project-related decision

2015-01-09 Thread David Gerard
On 8 January 2015 at 16:46, mcc99 mc...@hotmail.com wrote: If WMF still wants to pursue this kind of goal (which as you can tell I think rests on false assumptions as well as ethically bup-pow. - d. ___ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: Wikimedia-l Google Group

2015-01-09 Thread Charles Gregory
I believe the problem occurs if you use a gmail (or domain with google apps) email address which differs to the email address you were subscribed to the list with. Being a Google service, the group interface tries to use your gmail account. MZ's email method works well! If you need the direct

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: Wikimedia-l Google Group

2015-01-09 Thread Marc A. Pelletier
On 15-01-09 09:26 AM, Richard Symonds wrote: I believe mailman allows people to be added without confirmation too! It does, our list admins are just too polite to do that to people. -- Marc ___ Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Warning: Wikimedia-l Google Group

2015-01-09 Thread Hong, Yena
Thank you for the tip. report abuse did not unsub'ed me somehow. -Yena Hong (Revi) http://www.revi.pe.kr -- Sent from Android -- 2015. 1. 9. 오후 11:03에 MZMcBride z...@mzmcbride.com님이 작성: Austin Hair wrote: You may have already received a message indicating that you've been added to the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

2015-01-09 Thread Castelo Branco
Wikibooks is for textbooks, annotated texts, instructional guides, and manuals. (...) Wikibooks is not a place to publish primary research. https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks:What_is_Wikibooks Michel Castelo Branco 2015-01-08 19:54 GMT-02:00 JP Béland lebo.bel...@gmail.com: Wikibooks.

[Wikimedia-l] Invitation for the General Assembly of Wikimedia Belgium

2015-01-09 Thread Romaine Wiki
Hello all, On 24 January 2015 Wikimedia Belgium organises her first General Assembly. The assembly is open for members and volunteers on Wikipedia and other sister projects. The main subject of the meeting is the budget of Wikimedia Belgium. * Location: Brussels * More information about the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Is there some Wikimedia project to host contents based on original research?

2015-01-09 Thread JP Béland
Depends how you write the original research, it can easily be considered a textbook. 2015-01-09 6:17 GMT-07:00 Castelo Branco michelcastelobra...@gmail.com: Wikibooks is for textbooks, annotated texts, instructional guides, and manuals. (...) Wikibooks is not a place to publish primary