On 03/21/2013 05:14 PM, Stephen Kent wrote:
> Chris,
>>
>> TODAY it reduces the number, yes. 100% agree.
>> TOMORROW the number of repositories, even those which are 'hosted' will
>> be split up by name and/or ip-address...
>
> I think the operative term is "might" vs. "will."

sure, I'm just looking at what's happened in other things that look like
this. I could be wrong.

>> I have a feeling these will be like DNS servers and likely ripe (ha!)
>> points for attack by bad folks. So sharing fate for all customers just
>> seems like a bad idea.
>
> A single repository need not translate into a single instance of the files
> associated with that repository, right?

it's a single hostname/ip-address-set right?
  rsync://repository.arin.net/

I think we'll see, for example:
  rsync://customer1.repository.arin.net/

hostnames are free, ip-addresses (for a registry) are free :)
having all your customers down because someone dislikes visa.com (who
chose to use the hosted repository model) is ... unsatisfactory (and
likely expensive)

>>> folks become unhappy with the repository management, but for now I think
>>> it is reasonable to assume a much smaller number of repositories, which
>>> is what Sriram and I did in our model.
>> yup. but having the ability to increase the number of repositories in
>> the model means we can say: "today with N repositories and M objects we
>> see times of Y. Tomorrow when we have X repositories with Y objects we
>> should see times of Z"
>
> yes, it is reasonable to incorporate knobs into models to allow
> folks to explore their favorite scenarios.

cool. thanks!