On Wed, Jan 24, 2024 at 9:49 PM Fernando Frediani <fhfredi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024, 21:50 Christopher Hawker, <ch...@thesysadmin.au>
> wrote:
>
>> NIRs may well continue to exist and perform their administrative
>> functions under the umbrella of the RIR facilitating things in certain
>> economies and cultures.
>>
>> NIRs are independent of RIRs and operate via a NIR Member Relationship
>> Agreement. The MRA outlines what NIRs are able to do.
>>

> That is a problem on this discussion, a big missundertanding about how
> things are organized in practice.

I think you are arguing about semantics;

I believe APNIC gives NIRs significant latitude to create local policies
and procedures appropriate to their local economies, culture, or laws;

Nevertheless, the "APNIC and NIR Member Relationship Agreement" clearly
states, "Recitals; c. ... National Internet Registries provide procedures
and services that take account of local cultural differences, while
operating in a way that remains consistent with regional and global
resource management policies." Further, "2.3 Termination, a. APNIC may
terminate this agreement in any of the following circumstances: 4. The NIR
Member commits a substantial breach of this agreement or any APNIC Address
Management Policy;"

https://www.apnic.net/about-apnic/corporate-documents/documents/membership/nir-membership-agreement/
https://www.apnic.net/community/policy/operational-policies-nirs/

"APNIC and NIR Member Relationship Agreement" is a cooperative agreement or
contract. It, therefore, doesn't override local or international laws, and
the only real enforcement action is the termination of the agreement.
Furthermore, I imagine APNIC would not pursue termination of the agreement
except under the most egregious violation and only after both informal and
formal opportunities to correct the situation.

Can we please get back to the policy discussion at hand?

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:far...@umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952