On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:31:03PM -0500, Christopher M. Kelty wrote:
> easier to get where I live).  I.e., if it is cheaper to make twinkies
> than carrots it is because the ingredients for twinkies are all but
> free today, and people spend their lives thinking up new ways to
> twinkify everything, perhaps even including carrots, if the strange
> orange sticklets with sauce in children's lunch packaging is any clue.

which reminds me... the wonders of food processing technology mean that most
dried fruits are actually cranberries.

apparently they are very cheap to produce in bulk, last forever, have a chewy
"dried-fruit" texture and can be cheaply injected with colour and flavour to
taste/look like dried blueberries or raspberries or whatever. and maybe they're
subsidised, too :-)

don't know where i saw this, but here is where you can buy "orange-flavoured
sweetened dried cranberries" http://www.atwaterfoods.com/store.asp?pid=13974

-rishab