On 7/2/07, Udhay Shankar N <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
At 07:00 AM 7/2/2007, Udhay Shankar N wrote:

>>I'm pretty sure an electric scooter for half a kilobuck plus PV array
>>could give you a 50 km commute with a daytime's charge.
>
>One data point: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1635898.cms

And another: http://www.induselectrans.com/

India has a power shortage that will only get worse. By most estimates
some 50% of India's current energy needs aren't being met. The cities
rob power from the towns, the towns rob power from the villages. The
villages suffer in darkness for the most part - but of course they
have free power - if and when it is available. Of course if they are
fortunate, they steal power from the power grid whose pylons
criss-cross the country side to power the cities.

See,
http://iht.com/articles/2007/05/04/news/india.php

Also see, (subscription article):
http://economist.com/research/articlesBySubject/displayStory.cfm?story_id=4423894&subjectid=348879

Whose full text found here via a Google search:
http://www.india-forum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1107&pid=40342&mode=threaded&show=&st=&;

Cheeni