On 07/11/2007, Gautam John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 11/7/07, Binand Sethumadhavan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Pollichathu - coated with spices, wrapped in a banana leaf and baked.
>
> It's baked? Whenever I've had it, it's always been fried.

The Malayalam verb "pollikkuka" means, among other things, "to cook in
dry heat" which is characteristic of baking. "Pollicha" fish does not
come into direct contact with oil and hence is generally considered
baked even though it is cooked in a frying pan. The oil used in the
"pollikkal" process is only to ensure that the leaf itself does not
burn or stick to the pan used.

Binand