On 10-Feb-08, at 9:08 PM, shiv sastry wrote:

The evolution of such businesses in India starts with "Just setting it
up" (Just do it). If uncontrolled we get a Gandhi Bazaar like situation in which the entire pavement is occupied by illegal vendors who do not pay a
paisa of tax, but have been there long enough to get political support
against being chucked out and being deprived of a livelihood. And that
despite the fact that pedestrians can neither walk on the pavement for the
vendors, nor on the street for the traffic, and civic services have no
access.

To which, the resigned pedestrian in me has to ask: what pavement? Since when did Bangalore start to get pavements as a regular feature alongside roads?