Rishab Aiyer Ghosh wrote:

haha mea culpa. so let me modify the thread, then: what are the sort of
books you re-read?

Heh. Deja Vu all over again [1].

i hardly ever re-read, despite building up a huge collection. i find i
almost always end up remembering the book quite well once i'm back in
it. some times that is the point of re-reading, of course.

Indeed, and this is what I meant when I was talking about "comfort reads" a few messages upthread.

In spite of having a threateningly large To Be Read pile (~200 books at last estimate) I keep going back to some old favourites over and over again.

A representative list:

- JT Edson's early works (a guilty pleasure - his prose is lousy and his politics worse, but I still go back to them over lunch/dinner every now and again) - Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash (I can read some of the semi-standalone bits of Cryptonomicon, like the hacking sequences or the "how to eat cereal" bit, over and over even though I almost have them memorised by now) - Rudy Rucker's Infinity and the Mind (my ultimate comfort read - lucid, clear, and sometimes genuinely funny writing about some of the most abstruse topics possible)
- The early Executioner books
- Laurell Hamilton's Obsidian Butterfly, the last of the good Anita Blake books - Neil Gaiman's Sandman and The Books of Magic. Both the art and the prose reward repeat engagements.

Udhay