At 2010-03-23 17:31:36 +0000, sali...@googlemail.com wrote:

> OK, I recall she was given one-month's prison or fine; she decided to
> go to prison, then paid fine after a day in jail. If that's wrong, I
> stand corrected.

Oh, no, that's definitely not what happened.

http://www.thehindu.com/2002/03/07/stories/2002030706060100.htm

    NEW DELHI, MARCH 6. The Supreme Court today convicted the Booker
    Prize winner, Arundathi [sic] Roy, for having ``committed criminal
    contempt of this court by scandalising its authority with mala fide
    intentions'' and sentenced her to a ``symbolic imprisonment'' for
    one day and pay a fine of Rs. 2,000; in default, to undergo a simple
    imprisonment for three months.

-- ams