Random House has just published the first two translations in their new
Classics series, both from the Bengali: one is Bankim's Durgeshnandini,
which is widely considered the first novel written in an Indian language.
The other is called "Three Women" and is a collection of three Tagore
novellas.

I haven't finished the Tagore yet but Durgeshnandini is interesting and
absorbing for a number of reasons.

I loved Alice Albinia's 'Empires of the Indus,' which came out a couple of
years ago, both here and in the UK. Albinia treks up the Indus from mouth to
source, exploring geography, history and community over each region she
covers. She's a superb writer and the book deserved, I think, more
international attention than it got. I get the feeling this book keeps
cropping up on Silk discussions but since it hasn't in this thread, I bring
it up again.

Also there are reprints of four RK Narayan novels in the new Penguin Modern
Classics editions if you need to add/replace to your library. I'm not a big
fan of the new Modern Classics cover designs, or the Pico Iyer series
introduction that they've now appended to each, but they're shiny all the
same. And they'd probably make good gifts for first-time Narayan readers.

If you happen to be looking for frothy, frivolous novels I think Anuja
Chauhan wrote two of the best ones to come out in India over the last couple
of years, The Zoya Factor and Battle for Bittora: I kind of laughed
helplessly through the latter, in particular.

Pretty sure you're already down with Daniyal Mueenuddin and Gyan Prakash and
whoever else came out in the US simultaneously.

--
roswitha.blogspot.com | roswitha.tumblr.com