I think I got my first Kindle five years ago. It was probably the second
generation of e-ink Kindle devices. It helped that the next day, I was on
the long flight back from the US to India. In other word, my reading
immediately went up. I continue to read paper books, and enjoy them.
However the e-book is also now a huge part of my reading because of (a)
immediate downloads, especially after reading a review of the book, and (b)
e-books being cheaper that the dead-tree version and (c) many books that
interested me (Bufallo Bill, Geronimo) etc being available free on the
Kindle store.

I do not have a strong preference for either format, and it is the content
that matters to me. I do not use the Kindle app on my phone/tablet because
I don't want to subject my eyes to another light emitting device after
working all day in front of an LED monitor. I also bought a cover for the
Kindle with an embedded light. This saves me the hassle of getting up and
switching off the tube light when I am done with my quota of late-night
reading. Yes, I know I am lazy :-)

On a related tangent (is that an oxymoron?) I shamefully admit that I
downloaded "Fifty Shades of Grey" on my Kindle. How I wonder if the movie
will be as "boring" as the book.

Venky