On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 10:39 +0530, Udhay Shankar N wrote:
> So I got myself a Kindle. And whether it is the novelty or the
> device-specific aspects (doesn't need ambient light, sufficiently
> booklike that one can read sprawled in bed, etc) - I have consumed 3
> books in 3 days, more than in the preceding 3 months.
>
> So - have you folks noticed your reading habits change with the means
> of reading? Is this a special case of the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis [1]?

About 15 years ago when the first small digital hand held devices began
appearing the early adopters were young (I was already approaching
middle age). It used to amuse me that those devices seemed designed for
the young, who could mostly pick up a device and read or see whatever
was displayed without glasses.

That generation has now grown older and there is clearly an increase in
size of screen and font designed to cater to the young ones of
yesteryear who are older codgers now.

The Kindle, iPads and 7 or 8 inch devices are too big to fit in one's
pocket and too small to serve as a laptop. For many people I know, they
are a fashion statement requiring separate carriage - that is as a
"third device"  separate from phone and laptop. Among the more silly
sights I see nowadays is a person taking a photo or video using an iPad
- with a huge rectangle hiding his head. Sillier than that is the sight
of a photoframe size Samsung wotsit being held to one's ear. These are
compromises being made to gain the advantage of a biggish screen and a
debatable degree of portability minus the advantages of a proper keypad
for dedicated writers. It won't go in your pocket or handbag. It's not
for your desk. It's a diary sized thing that replaces the diary of the
pre-1980s era, and offers book functionality. Like roundworms and
tapeworms, it exists simply because it can exist. One can do without
it.

I find the Kindle/iPad format singularly useless for me. They are
neither here nor there, and the books I want are unavailable. They
cannot be accommodated in my pocket, which necessarily must carry keys,
wallet, glasses and pen.  Incidentally I have used my last two smart
phones to read about 10,000 pages in books. I am comfortable with the
small screen and a good smart phone does everything I need apart from
allowing me to type comfortably, for which I need only one larger
device, with no need to squeeze in a third "in between, neither this nor
that" format.

shiv