Hi Mary Ellen,
Ok, here we go, without all the " . . . . "; first off, some things
dissolve easily in water - salt, sugar, alcohol (think vodka), even
oxygen and nitrogen and carbon dioxide out of the air though some of
these not very much. Some things don't dissolve - though you can get an
argument about that, but for now; uh . . . no.

So next, strange as it may seem, there are two ways things dissolve in
water; they either stay themselves and their molecules just get totally
swirled into and around with the water molecules - like alcohol - or
they get split into two parts, a positive part and a negative. The
"positive" and "negative" descriptions of the parts are there because
the whatever - let's say good ol' salt - when it dissolves in water -
gets torn in two so a very little extra + (plus) electric charge ends up
on one piece and a matching opposite - (minus) electric charge on the
other: Those are ions, a positive ion, and a negative ion, from what was
salt.  Neither one alone is still salt . . . I know salty water tastes
like salt, it "has salt in it", salt crystals in your hand taste like
salt.

I'm not making this stuff up; you asked, and I enjoy explaining it, but
you can't get a whole chemistry class in a couple of notes so take it a
bit at a time.  An ion is a tiny bit of something that dissolved in
water by splitting off a bit of itself, often a tiny - electric charge,
an electron.  So, would you believe silver will dissolve in water?

Well, with a little help we can do it; basically a "colloidal" silver
generator takes some electric charges and runs them out into a silver
wire stuck into some water.  There's another silver wire with the
opposite kind of electric charges in the water too, but the one with the
positive charges attracts one of a silver molecule's negative charges
and somehow convinces that Ion of silver to leave the wire.  Of course
it's not all so simple, sometimes the silver ion turns right around and
sticks back on, sometimes a few of them get out there, get together and
steal some charges from some water and turn back into plain, but very
very small particles of silver.  Those particles are what make the
colloidal part of the deal.

The generators discussed on this list are mostly of the kind that do
this with electricity; it seems to be the best way, and the "colloidal
silver" made with them is actually part Ionic - silver ions - and part
particulate.  And if the particles are small, and most of them are, they
are said to be colloidal which means they are SO small they won't even
settle out to the bottom in the water.

Generally you get about eighty percent ionic silver and twenty percent
colloidal silver in a batch.  Both are just fine!

All for now, remember to take care of yourself!
Malcolm