Morning Kathryn

Interesting message for sure.

>>At 02:31 PM 9/10/2008, you wrote:
Usually, I am not easily scared- but fussing around with high voltage is one of my sticking points. I have done a little neon signage, so have been around HV transformers, but boy, it seems to me there is little forgiveness there. I have great respect for high voltage.

  Usually, the more you know, the more safety conscious you become.

Some people that know very little, should leave power circuits alone.

One person called me and said his electric heater shocked him at times.

He had connected it into 480, 3 phase thinking he connected it into 240 VAC.

He had the HIGH LEG, ( Center Conductor ) connected to the case or the electric heater.

He had no ground, and the highest voltage connected to the case, and it had been that way for some time.

A Death TRAP, I could not have made one better.

The other time I got scared was when I was carrying a g-pick on a mountain top in the High Sierra when a thunderstorm came up. High voltage gives me the willies.

   Funny, ......... indeed.

Be glad the willies is all you got. I wish I knew how much voltage got me when I got the indirect hit by lightening. I could taste blood in my mouth, and the deadness lasted for about 3 hours in the side of my head and face.

And all that came down the phone line.  Small wires but a large shock.

But then again, AC is said to be more deadly.
Your safety lecture would be appropriate here, thanks.
I would not want to bore the list with all the safety warnings about AC, Power wiring, High voltage, medium voltage, and low voltage. ( low voltage as applied to power wiring)

The reason being, most people that work with this, know safety, and are well versed in the required safety habits. If they are still alive, they are doing it right, most of the time.

The ideas I have for the list relate to the small things that many take for granted, they see them every day, and do not consider them any hazard or threat.

Most relate to fire safety, life safety, and not to shock hazards.

I have seen many example, fires started, by most things I will mention.

This includes a term or two, I have never seen mentioned on the list, in many thousands of messages.

I still believe, the more we learn, the older we get, the more safety conscious we become.

When I passed 1 million miles driving, I began to think Safety.
Then,  at 1.5 million miles, I learned how to spell safety.

Finally, a Question for the Engineers, and anyone else.

Why is Romex Cable Approved for the building I sleep in, .............

Not approved for the building I work in, and I am wide awake All day long ?

I do not need a legal answer, ....... but a Safety related answer.

Wayne