Sodium Laurel Sulfate, hmmm, I know it can penetrate the scalp if it's in a
shampoo, and it can effect vision. But of all the things I've read about it, I've
never read about it effecting Vit D manufactured in the skin. Not that that is
impossible, if it penetrates the skin and combines with other things somehow..But
I haven't done enough reading on it to say one way or the other. But Malcom's
explanation sounds reasonable. ;> If I do some digging and find out something
different I'll eat some crow I reckon, LOL.

Annie

Malcolm wrote:
Dee, I already know what 'Mercola' says.  IMNSHO, Mercola's site thrives
on a contrarian POV.  Perhaps those of us who are "depleted" in the vit
D department have other causes to look for, such as insufficient
exposure to sunlight, too much clothing when outdoors, wrong time of
day, Vits A, D, calcium and magnesium-poor diet, etc.  (Vegetarians are
particularly susceptible to the deficiency because plant derived D is
not the kind we use; even animal fats are likely to be deficient if the
animals were raised in confinement with inadequate exposure to sun.)
Whatever sodium laurel sulfate may do, I doubt it extracts cholesterol
from the inner layers of the skin, but who knows?  This may become the
new thinning and cardio protocol for the 21st century; just wash your
HDL's away.  <g>

The amount of time necessary for the body to absorb the vit D precursors
generated by exposure to sun is 30 to 60 minutes, so unless you run
inside to shower right away, you're probably ok even for the cholesterol
containing skin oils from the sebaceous glands (and there are more
cholesterols present than those found in the sebum.  BTW, the time
required for the markers to show up in the blood is about 12 to 24 hours
but the D is already bound to its delivery protein in about half an
hour.

The times of day in which the UV-B from the sun is significantly present
are 10 to 2.  It's the UV-B that does the conversion of cholesterol.

Tha'sall