This has been discussed in the recent past, and if my memory serves me
(always wonder about that):

1) The oil soluble vitamins are not 'washed out' by water like C and B's
are; so they remain stored and can achieve toxic levels.  My personal
experience has been that A and E (D-alpha tocopherol) taken to excess
(my excess) make me feel like I did the wrong thing, ucky.  So far vit D
hasn't given me this reaction @ 2,000 IU per day for a coupla weeks
plus.

2)Vit D is made by exposure of cholesterols, in our skin, to sun, or
certain energy levels of light but the formation takes place under a few
layers of the epidermis, and thus doesn't wash off under normal bathing
any more than the cholesterols do.  I dunno what sunscreens do to or for
it.

3)It usedta be that vit D2 was "The stuff" and added to milk; the
'sunshine vitamin' according to the advertising hypsters.  Now it's vit
D3.  Anyone know what happened to vit D1?  Will we have the new and
improved D4 soon?

4) It's a hormone.

The whole idea that we should "take some thing" -or not - for whatever
is suspect.

Take care, (oops?)
OK; Give care,
Malcolm