Simeon - this is a copied post from Brooks:

silver-list-requ...@eskimo.com on behalf of Brooks Bradley
(brooks76...@lycos.com)

Mon 4/13/09 10:13 PM

silver-list@eskimo.com
Hello Dee,
In answer to your question......We have utilized H202 in concentrations beyond
16%----for whitening effects on teeth....with minor, but sometimes irritating
effects. In at least 80% of the volunteers utilizing 16% H202-----tissue-burn
was evident by the whitened skin surfaces (even though only the outer tissue
level was involved). In a majority of these cases some discomfort did
manifest....but no scarring evolved. At 12% the local "heating effect" was
noticed by ALL participants, but presented as a distinct irritation in only
about 20% of these researchers. At 9% none of our volunteers experienced any
"distinctive discomfort", whatever, but the sudden onset warming, momentarily,
caused some of them concern. Everyone using 6% achieved excellent results and
at much higher speed....than at 3.5%----but I wanted to err on the side of
caution.....that is why I limited my recommendation to the lower concentration.
Besides, 3.5% is very easily obtained from any drug store in the U.S....higher
concentrations are not nearly as easy to find at the more convenient retail
outlets.
I might add an explanatory comment that could prove useful....SOMETIMES, among
a population of persons presenting with various stages of gum insults---using
even 3.5% concentration----(many are not even aware of such conditions), do
experience some rapid-onset stinging discomfort (usually quite short-lived).
This condition evolves as a result of the accelerating effects of the oxygen's
heat-releasing effects upon encountering an anaerobic debris-field, or
low-grade infectious insults. It is nothing to cause major concern, but is,
many times, quite unexpected.
If one does choose to employ 9% strength H202, it would be advisable to have a
glass of plain water handy----for dilution, just in case they desire rapid
quenching of the oxidation reaction occurring within a pronounced anaerobic
tissue field----or even a very tender area. If one does, actually, incur the
"bleaching effect" (actually, the white-appearing tissue is a minor tissue-burn
and will require a day or two before it sloughs off and is replaced by new
tissue), it is, as a matter-of-course, usually self-correcting.
I apologize for such a lengthy response...but few individuals among the general
population appear to possess an adequate knowledge of the properties/effects of
H202....especially at strengths beyond 3.5%.
I hope these comments prove helpful. Sincerely, Brooks.