Marshall <mdud...@king-cart.com> wrote:

  >On 9/14/2011 9:42 PM, Mike Monett wrote

  >> 7. The  black  stuff  that  forms  on  the  electrodes  is silver
  >> hydroxide, AgOH, not silver oxide, Ag2O.

  >> Your statement is incorrect.

  >> You cannot produce silver Oxide, Ag2O, by using electrolysis.

  > As I pointed out before, Silver Hydroxide and Silver Oxide convert
  > back and  forth  between  each  other when  in  water.  Here  is a
  > reference for that:

  >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_oxide

  > 2       AgOH      ?      Ag_2     O      +      H_2      O   (/p/K
  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrium_constant> = 2.875^[5]

  ><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_oxide#cite_note-4> )

  > Also as  I  pointed out in a  previous  message,  silver hydroxide
  > decomposes into  Silver oxide when it drys out. It does  not occur
  > except as a solution. Here they talk about that:

  >http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100726032601AA2jYuy

  > Thus, when  on a wet electrode, it can be silver  oxide  or silver
  > hydroxide, but when dried out it will always be silver oxide.

  >Marshall

  Sorry, Marshall,  your  statement  is  incorrect.  The references are
  wrong.

  Silver hydroxide is insoluble.

  I posted  experiments long ago that shows this. I found one,  and am
  still looking for the other. They follow along these lines:

  First, silver  hydroxide  decomposes  at  60C  to  80C.  I  have the
  reference somewhere but can't put my finger on it at the moment. But
  you can prove it to yourself.

  Take the anode after a brew and let it dry.

  Put it on a hot plate with a microscope and thermometer.

  You will  find  it  changes from black to  gray  as  the temperature
  passes through  the 60C to 80C region. This means  the  compound has
  decomposed to oxygen and silver

  Silver oxide decomposes at 280C

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_oxide

  So the black stuff cannot be silver oxide. The only other suspect is
  silver hydroxide, AgOH. The equation is

  Ag+ + OH- --> AgOH

  This shows that silver hydroxide does not change to silver  oxide as
  it dries out.

  Your statements are incorrect, and your references are wrong.
  Second, if you do a brew with 20ppm that has 10% particles, the brew
  contains 2  ppm  of silver hydroxide. This  will  turn  the solution
  yellow due to plasmon absorbance.

  Silver oxide is soluble to 0.025 g/L, or 25ppm. Same reference.

  Ions are  not visible. So if the silver hydroxide changed  to silver
  oxide, the  yellow color would disappear as the compound  changed to
  ions.

  This does  not  happen.  So  the   yellow  color  has  to  be silver
  hydroxide, AgOH, and not silver oxide, Ag2O.

  This shows  that  silver hydroxide is not soluble  in  dw,  and your
  statements are incorrect.
  Third, take  two electrodes and straighten them, then  separate them
  by the distance of a sheet of paper.

  Place them in a fresh jar of dw. Measure the conductance.

  Apply a small current until the electrodes show a black deposit.

  Monitor the current and perform the Faraday calculation.

  You may  find  that only 2 ppm of silver was  released.  Most  of it
  coats the electrodes.

  You will find very little change in the conductance of the dw.

  Remove the  electrodes  and place them in a fresh jar  of  dw. Leave
  them overnight.

  Look at them the next morning. There will be no change in  the black
  deposit.

  Perform the  thermal  test decribed above. You will  find  the black
  deposit turns gray as the temperature goes through 60C to 80C.

  That is  the  signature temperature for silver  hydroxide.  No other
  silver compound decomposes at such a low temperature.

  If the  silver hydroxide were soluble, it would have  disappeared in
  the fresh jug of dw overnight.

  It did  not. This shows that silver hydroxide is  insoluble,  and it
  does not change to silver oxide.
  I have  proven that your references are wrong, and  silver hydroxide
  does not spontaneously change to silver oxide.

  Therefore, as  I  have stated, you cannot  produce  silver  oxide by
  electrolysis.

  The silver ion concentration is the most important part of colloidal
  silver. A  weak  solution may be  ineffective  in  combating today's
  virulent pathogens. The current silver ion generators do not produce
  a high enough concentration to be useful in fighting them.

  If you  want  to  learn  more how  to  get  the  highest  silver ion
  concentration possible, visit my forum at

  You are most cordially welcome to join. It is free.

  I will post a copy of this on my forum.

  I will also post a reply to your previous post as soon as I complete
  the documentation for the MiniCell cs generator.

  Thanks,

  Mike Monett
  SilverCentral

Archives: