Had one.  At least my mother had one and she used it on us kids for aches and
pains.
She used "Unguintine" (sp?) as a lubricant. There was an intensity control which
made
the glass wands glow stronger.  Put your finger next to the glass and all the
corona
would migrate to your finger.  Pull your finger away and sparks would jump to
the
finger up to about an inch away.  When mother wasn't around, us kids would
"play"
with it.  One was supposed to apply the wand to the affected area and then turn
on
the
discharge by increasing the control.  I don't know if it did any good, but it
tingled and
we had fun with it.

Erwin