Malcolm,

The pH of the blood plasma lies within the range of 7.3 to 7.5, this
is a critical range outside of which it is difficult to sustain life.
There is a system of buffers and defences which inhibit the extremes
in plasma pH. One of the most important is the mobilisation of calcium
from the bones to bond with (and thus neutralise) those acidic
compounds which would otherwise cause a drop in plasma pH.
Unfortunately, most calcium complexes are insoluble at these pH
levels, which are, after all slightly alkaline, and so precipitates
and stones form.

One way to overcome this problem in the short term is to supplement
with alkaline forming foods or supplements, which supply those more
caustic elements sodium and potassium. Sodium and potassium will
replace calcium in precipitates and render them soluble, so that they
might then be excreted by the kidneys.

In the long term, preventative measures which will ensure all round
good health, might include limiting phosphate consumption (red meat,
carbonated drinks etc.), vitamin D supplementation which ensures the
bioavailability of calcium supplementation, sunshine or at least full
spectrum light each day to ensure the hormone production for proper
calcium regulation.

Regards
Ivan.