When making colloidal/ionic silver using a simple system that does not
employ current limiting, the process starts out very, very slowly and
increases at a faster and faster rate the longer it is left to operate.
With this system it is difficult to know when to stop the process
because it goes from being the strongest good CS (for this type of
system) to being junk in a very short time.

Shine a light thru the jar from the back or the bottom and look closely
at the electrodes.  For a long time you can see nothing.  Then after
maybe an hour, depending on your electrode spacing, distilled water, and
voltage, you can start to see clouds of something coming off the
electrodes.  In a shorter time, you will see gunk building up on the
electrodes and will be able to see the beam of the flashlight or laser
pen in the water.  (Like Mulder and Skully when they walk thru a dark
warehouse with their flashlights.)  This is the light being reflected by
the particles in the water - the Tyndall Effect.  These things are
signposts indicating that it is near time to stop the process.

If you stop now, you will get clear CS/EIS or a batch that will be
slightly straw colored after a day or so...  Both should be good.  Once
you have produced a batch, the next batches should take roughly the same
time, et. assuming that you use the same electrodes, electrode spacing,
distilled water brand, size of jar, etc.

Dan

PS  Use your dark CS to experiment with...  Take some of it and put a
small amount of hydrogen peroxide in it (drops).  Try diluting some with
distilled water and repeating.  Etc.

>>> Raine <rainelov...@sbcglobal.net> 4/22/2005 2:02:29 AM >>>
Taking into consideration the feedback I'd received on my first batch,

tonight I brewed 8 oz for one hour using thermal stirring. About 25-30

min in I had heavy bearding and had to clean the rods, though the
mixture was still crystal clear. After that, I walked away from it for

the remainder of the time. I returned at 60 min brew time to a horrid
dark mess with double the bearding I'd had before. Now, several hours
later I see there is a lot of sediment at the bottom of the jar- I'm
assuming this is the bearding "fuzz" that was broken off by the
stirring.

Is this normal? Should I have taken it off the light at some point,
rather than heating the whole time? Is this batch safe? If so, will it

be effective? What can I do to produce a better batch next time?

Thanks for letting me bask in your wisdom, guys!

-Raine