Another idea not as good, but helpful: I just used some alligator clips with wires to hook in a cheapo digital multimeter, and keep it turned on to the current draw setting. I monitored current level to adjust the electrode spacing during the brewing to keep the current low. And it also gave me a maximum current draw so I knew if I continued brewing beyond that point the batch would be in "run away" mode.

As I said, this is not as good as a resistor, but it did help me monitor what was going on with my homemade generator. The meter was extremely cheap, but the alligator clips from radio shack that have wires already attached are expensive here. We luckily had some laying around, so maybe if you don't have any, you could ask around friends and family to see if anyone has some unused ones stashed in a junk drawer.
sol

M. G. Devour wrote:

Raine wrote:
I'd love nothing more than to have $100+ to spend on a good unit
instead of this cheapie thing I have, but alas that's not the case. So
I've gotta learn how to make this work the best it can for our needs.

Raine, I have a question:

Do you have a friend or loved one who can handle a soldering iron? A kid who tinkers with electronics, or a local ham radio enthusiast? Even an electronics repair shop in town could probably do what I have in mind...

One of the easiest ways to tame a generator like yours is to put a simple resistor in series with the electrode circuit. It will slow down the process so that you may have to let it run overnight, but you'll never have runaway.

The product will be clear, with a very faint tyndall and decent concentration.

We'll have to tinker a bit to figure out the right resistor value, but the idea is pure simplicity. Oh, yeah, resistors cost pennies apiece, even at Radio Shack. Even if you have to pay somebody a few bucks to solder it in for you, it's still pretty do-able. And it's not hard to learn to solder, if you choose to add a skill to your kit! <grin>