The Fortran version of Adventure may be the most authentic but if you don't
want to deal with building 'ancient' code on a language few are proficient in
now there are better options.  Last year Eric Raymond (The Cathedral And The
Bazaar guy) and a few others took the ugly machine translated C code from the
last known Fortran version and rewrote/structured it into something that is
much more readable and maintainable.  Complete with automated testing and code
coverage metrics to make sure the game play was not changed.  The code is on
github and can also be found here:
http://www.catb.org/esr/open-adventure/
Eric wrote several entries about the rewrite in his blog.

Bob Nelson