Eric B. Ramsay wrote:
I don't know when Lanier wrote the following but I would be interested to know what the AI folks here think about his critique (or direct me to a thread where this was already discussed). Also would someone be able to re-state his rainstorm thought experiment more clearly -- I am not sure I get it:

     http://www.jaronlanier.com/aichapter.html

Lanier's rainstorm argument is spurious nonsense.

It relies on a sleight of hand, and preys on the inability of most people to notice the point at which he slips from valid-analogy to nonsense-analogy.

He also then goes on to use a debating trick that John Searle is fond of: he claims that the people who disagree with his argument always choose a different type of counter-argument. His implication is that, because the follow different paths, therefore they don't agree about what is wrong, therefore ALL of them are fools, and therefore NONE of their counter-arguments are valid.

Really.  I like Jaron Lanier as a musician, but this is drivel.

Richard Loosemore