On 08/06/2017 17:46, Lonnie Cumberland wrote:
> Greetings All,
>
> I am trying to figure out some nice hardware to get started with Triton
> and some nodes and am thinking about getting 4 of these:

I buy generation 9 (9X) used servers from Supermicro. Out of warranty
they go for as little as $500 for dual 8 core CPUs and 49G RAM.

Look online for sales. When you are using ZFS you don't want a disk
controller that gets in the way to be helpful as that will degrade ZFS
meaning you don't need (or want) a RAID controller. I use the controller
built-in on the M/B. It must allow ZFS to reach the drives directly, it
seems most RAID controllers do not actually allow that.

When looking at the CPU(s) make sure they support the two virtualization
technologies. https://ark.intel.com/#@Processors

--
Steve