As I understand it it has more to do with iOS ring fencing both the app and its
data which makes less prone to hacking. Not saying it would be impossible but
clearly compared to the way macOS has been constructed iOS is less vulnerable.
Like NatWest there are transactions where you need to use a one-time secure
transaction key which you can generate on an iOS device (or through the web
site) but you don't require those calculator devices in which you insert a bank
card to do the same.
Lastly, as you might expect, banking data to/from the iOS app is end to end
encrypted - not sure about messages, although these do not carry account info.

Regards,

Tony
Sent from my iPhone
Email: tcro...@gmail.com