On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 01:31:18 +0900
Alan <lameventa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the same problem.  This goes away when I stop using the
> mini-pci wifi card and use an external access point on one of the
> ethernet ports.  I have this problem with two completely different
> mini-pci wifi cards (atheros and broadcom).  My theory is that maybe
> the cards overheat, and I'm thinking that a heatsink on the wifi cards
> chipsets might help. You might want to try that too and let us know if
> it helps.

This is very well possible. When i got my net5501 i found out that
the case has no thermal design whatsoever and is prone to overheating
even in unloaded conditions (measured 70°C cpu temp when _idle_).
This is no suprise considering that only the few holes on the side
contribute to cooling, which is definitly not enough if you want to
disipate more than 2-3W (the board alone uses something in the 5-7W range).
The holes on the bottom do not contribute in the least as they are covered
by the board and hence their air flow is blocked.

A few people have reported that putting the case on its side to
get a chimney effect has helped a bit. I installed a small fan
to be on the safe side.

Over all, i do not recommend getting the standard net5501 case as
it is a clear misdesign. If you already have it, consider putting
a small fan in.

                                Attila Kinali

--
WYSIWYG is not a solution, it is the problem, and until we get around to
realizing that very few of us are competent to design fonts, styles, or